Thursday 13 March 2014

Kale Chips

After I put my boys down for a nap I started searching through the cupboards for a nice salty snack. On the week days I try my best to eat healthy, so as you can imagine there weren't many options available. I found some almonds and cashews...blah!!

I've been trying to potty train my older son and it is exhausting..nap time is really the only down time I have during the day to curl up on the couch and watch an episode of Ellen with a satisfying snack. Is that really too much to ask for? Before I gave up, I opened the fridge and saw the stalk of kale I got over the weekend, barely touched. That's when I got the idea for Kale chips! They're perfect to satisfy that salty, crispy snack craving we sometimes get without having to go for the bag of chips hiding in the cupboard. Kale chips are very simple and quick to make, you don't need very many ingredients and they're pretty quick in the oven too!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Ingredients
1 stalk of kale, removed stems cut into chip size pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dry oregano
1/4 teaspoon dry basil

Directions

First, wash the kale, cut off the stems and use a salad spinner to get the kale completely dry. Make sure that they are very dry because otherwise you might end up with soggy kale chips...yuck! If you have some time, you can lay out your kale on a towel to dry naturally, this may take a few hours.



Once the stems are cut off the ends, cut them out of the kale as well, they are a little too tough for the texture we want for the kale chips. Throw the kale in a large bowl and add your seasoning. Put it out single layer on a pizza tray and drizzle with the olive oil.

 

Let it bake for 15 minutes and enjoy! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment